01 August 2007

too quiet!

After a couple of weeks of wondering about the change in activity, especially the sharp decrease in activity of the 'left side twin' I went to the hospital today to have the babies checked. It was a quick appointment, after a long wait, but well worth the effort when we could see both babies were fine. It was also Max's first time seeing the babies and seeing where they'll be born. The midwife who checked us out said that it wasn't unusual that the twins' activity levels have changed, but it was very unusual that we've been able to feel them regularly for as long as we have. I know it's not just my imagination, though, because Niek's also felt them. Anyway, both of the wee travelers seem fine and we are still set for our gender-screen next week.

Today we were visiting with a very good friend who has generously given me free run through her outgrown baby stuff. Thanks to Anja, we now have a baby swing, the second car seat, a 'wipstoel' (a sort of infant chair), two winter infant suits, and an incredible array of infant clothing in the smallest two sizes. Amazing. I felt really guilty taking so much, but she kept assuring me that it was fine, that they won't have any more kids and that she doesn't have any other friends or family who are planning on kids. The only stipulation is that when we are done with them, we find someone else who needs them. No problems there - when we were told 2 1/2 years ago we couldn't have any more kids, I found an organization right here in Gouda for unwed mothers that is in constant need of newborn clothes.

I feel so relieved (not to mention thankful and grateful!) that the babes are fine - there aren't words that encompass such a vast emotion. And perhaps the change in activity is due to the right-side twin 'catching up'. This is the one that was smaller in the beginning (the one the GYN initially missed) - perhaps s/he is larger and more active now. Time will tell....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything's OK Barbara!

Anonymous said...

good news about the twins. that's a relief after worrying about their movements.
it's great you can save some money by getting stuff. it's a win-win situation I would say, even for the VBOK! great!

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up on this blog! I forgot about it. You've been through a lot lately!! I'm glad things are fine and you get to have the ultrasound with the older kids watching. Do they make you drink water for it too?
When do we get to see a photo of your baby belly? : ) I have one of me with Sean and I'll share it if you share yours. ; )

Margaret said...

Glad to hear all is well Barbara. A pregnancy is such a wonderful time yet a time constantly filled with worry. Even after all these years I remember the feeling well.
How wonderful that Anja gave you her baby things. It must have felt a little like Christmas looking through all those 'new to you' wee clothing items.

Anonymous said...

You were told you couldn't have any more kids? Well, well!! They were double wrong?

I am so enjoying your baby stories!

Elizabeth MacGregor-Kirkcaldy said...

I'm so happy to read everything is going so well for you and the dear twins, Barbara... :-)

Oh, how very sweet of Anja to pass along all her baby treasures to your wee twins! :-)

I know you all must be so excited about the upcoming ultrasound! I can't wait to see the results! :-)

You take care of yourself, Sweetie and enjoy this oh, so special time... Put your feet up and stitch a while and cherish the moments with your precious family... :-)

Sending you lots of love and {{{Hugs}}}