12 August 2007

taking the minutes as they come

This is hard. I was going to delete this blog, but that didn't seem right. It's like claiming that none of this has happened, but it has happened - as horrible and unfair and rotten as it all is. So last night as I was talking to Arden in my mind, something I do throughout the day and especially at bedtime and waking, I realized that the right thing to do would be to go on writing here, as honestly as I can. Hopefully someday he can read it. Maybe someone will stumble across it and find some tiny bit of solace. Maybe I can keep the darkness from building up inside me. Plenty of potential for something good to come of it, anyway.

I'm not really ready to be totally honest about everything. I still can't quite face what has happened full-on. So I'll deal with what I can, when I can.

When we came home on Thursday, I thought I might just cease to exist from the sheer mass of grief that was consuming me. I was scared that there was something so fundamentally wrong with me that anyone who came into contact with me might die. This is what drove me into therapy last year when we lost a baby at 12 weeks. I was absolutely convinced it was my fault, a punishment or something. I felt I should leave Niek and the kids, and I was totally convinced that the shock of seeing the dead baby had killed the surviving twin, too. And I was nearly mute from the shock and the pain of it all - I couldn't tell Niek what I was feeling or thinking. When I was a kid, I had such a hard time talking to people that I used to write notes instead, so I reverted to that. I guess what I wrote worried Niek because he didn't leave my side for the next few days and he let me use his energy and strength while I had none of my own. It's brought us a lot closer.

When we had the ultrasound tests run on Friday and saw that Arden is indeed still alive and apparently thriving, I could turn my despair to a purpose. I have to take care of myself for him, at the very least. It's basic, but I couldn't grasp much more than that. So we came home and I ate a sandwich. I still cried all day, but I ate my dinner and I went to bed and I tried to go to sleep. We and the kids talked to Arden and everyone began doing what they could to add their own will to his will to survive.

On Saturday, we didn't go anywhere or see anyone or do anything. Okay, it can be seen as denial, but our wounded souls needed some time off to begin the slow process of accepting what has happened. I woke early - around 5 am - and listened to the ducks or swans splashing in the pond under our bedroom window and feeling Arden move. He seems to like the very early morning hours. He went to sleep that night tightly pressed against Niek's hand on my belly. I think he's lonely.

When both babies were doing well and we had all the ultrasounds to ensure they were thriving and healthy, we'd see them pushing against the barrier between them. They'd only stop when the other pushed back, as if they needed to know that the other was still there. Now that his twin is gone, Arden nestles against our hands when we place them on my belly. It's heartbreaking for me, even if I do keep telling myself that I'm reading too much into it all.

He moves differently than any of the other children did in the womb. Max, I remember, tried to burrow his way out via my ribcage on the right side. He wanted to spring, fully-formed, from my chest. Pain? I'm certain that my ribs on that side are permanently dislocated. Nicky and Rowen liked to kick - with Nicky, I remember being able to easily watch my belly ripple as he sought the perfect position - and he was the smallest of the babies! Rowen started moving very actively around the 13th week and she let us know from that point forward that she was a force to be reckoned with. Arden moves, but with very small, almost tentative movements. We've also noticed this on the ultrasounds. He'll move his hands a bit, or shift position, maybe stretch out a leg or two ... but he doesn't kick or flip or bounce. I try not to drive myself crazy worrying if this means something bad. Instead, I try to assume it says something about his character. He is, after all, the smallest little creature in a loud, busy, chaotic household. Maybe he's someone who doesn't rush into things, who prefers to take gentler measures to meet his aims.

I feel such a different bond with him. I'm terrified of losing him, but I want to enjoy whatever time I have with him rather than to live under the shadow of fear. He is the last chance I'll have to have a baby. Our bond is made heavy by its fragility.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no words, but I have plenty of (virtual) hugs {{{{{{Barbara}}}}}}}}}

Chiloe said...

I think it's a great idea you talk to him a lot. He knows you all love him and you all want him to be born. He will thrive knowing you are waiting for him. I understand you are living a very scary time and maybe it will be a good idea to go back to see your psy to help you relieve the fear and the guilt because you have to wait a long time before your due date. By keeping your blog, I'm sure you will have many support from a lot of people who share your pain and sorrow and who will want to send you many postive thoughts for Arden. Stitching do relieve the stress a little bit (that's what I was doing while my oldest son was having his chimio at the hospital) (((((hugs to you and your family ))))

Judith said...

{{{{{{{{{{{Barbara}}}}}}}}}}}}

Margaret said...

Dear Barbara tears stream down my face as I read your post and try to find some small words of comfort for you.
Please remember how important you are to this wonderful family of yours. Niek, the three older children and little Arden love you from the depths of their beings. You are their everything so please never ever doubt yourself. This is NOT YOUR FAULT as I am sure Niek tries to tell you again and again. I wish I could take your pain away but can only hope that sharing it will give you a tiny bit of relief.
Love, Margaret

Sharon said...

Losing a child is such a devastating thing. I had a miscarriage with my first baby and it haunted me through each subsequent pregnancy. It may abate down but it never leaves you. Barbara, this is not your fault, because I know and everyone else knows that taking care of your babies was a priority.

Your a great Mom and I and everyone else will be praying and willing for Arden to be here in December. I hope that your talking about things here or even a couselor will help ease things for you. I do love the name Arden-it different and so you and Niek I think. Is it a family name? Take care and many {{{{hugs}}}}

Katie said...

(((((Hugs)))))Barbara, I'm at a loss at what to say besides you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Katie

samplerknn said...

I am so sorry that you have to endure this. I too had similar grief. I had many miscarriages and a stillborn baby. Take care of yourself and do what YOU need to do. Don't let anyone shortchange your grief...they will try. You will get through this;there will be days you won't think you will. Be strong and make sure you love that Arden.

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you didn't delete the blog. I can only imagine how extremely hard this must be for you, but you writing this helps me appreciate what I do have, not focus on what I don't have. It makes me realize what is truly important in life - My family. Thank you for that, and thank you for your honesty. Arden is a beautiful name and they way you describe him is amazing. You already know him and that is a gift.

Crazee4books said...

Dear Barbara, I weep for your loss, and I pray for the baby who still lives and grows inside of you. I send you my love and I know that the stitching/blogging community world wide are all doing the same.
Hugs to you, Niek and the children.

Judy

Deb said...

Dearest Barbara, How brave and true you are to continue to be the living, caring, devoted mother you are. Arden is so blessed to have you, Barbara. You've wrapped your love around him, as you always did for the two of them. Like some trips we take with our loved ones, we can't always go the whole way together...but though we part ways, we never stop loving and we never forget. You are the ribbon of love that binds your precious family together. It's a mother's lot in life, and you do it with so much heart and courage. I love you and cherish our friendship,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am sooo sorry for your loss. All my thoughts are with you and your family and willing Arden through the next 20 weeks until the wonderful moment when he can really meet and touch his family and know that he is loved and wanted. You write about your feelings so beautifully, I hope it gives you comfort. I've just found out that at 40, I'm pregnant with my second child. Your loss makes my discovery even more precious. Take care of yourself and if you can't let your family do it for you, that's all they want to be allowed to do.

Nicki said...

I'm just sending you lots and lots of love and hugs. Of course this is not your fault. Just keep writing if you need to and know that there are lots of people here wo care for you.

Anonymous said...

Everyone has said such lovely things, I am not so poetic. But may I say: go away as long as you want. We will miss you and we will welcome you back with open arms when you decide the time is right.

I am so sorry for your loss, I am sending love to all of your family, and especially you.

I am going to miss you, my friend.

(I am so sad for you)

much love
Coral

Kim said...

I don't have any words of wisdom and no special insight into the pain you are feeling. I can only say that I am overcome with sadness for your loss. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you, but even with this loss you are such a lucky woman. You have 3 of the most beautiful children ever and another on the way and they are lucky because they have you for their mom. Take care of your self and hug your babies. My prayers are with you. ((hugs))

Leeland said...

Arden might read your words some day and what better testimony is there of your love for him and his twin? I am aware that no word can change anything but I'm sharing the pain.
It's always been clear from the very beginning that you're a wonderful mum and no one will ever blame you for what happened. Life is just a bitch sometimes.
You know, every baby, wether or not a twin, will come and nest in your hands. This is a wonderful sensation.
Sending you healing thoughts and big huge comforting hugs, Barbara.
Take care, Sweetie.
Lili

Lelia said...

sending love & thoughts to you (& your family). Take good care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. I'm thinking of you and wishing you comfort. Lots of hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you didn't delete the blog. It is a testimony to your pregnancy and someday Arden will appreciate that you left it in place, despite this tragedy. I have wept for your previous loss, shared your ecstatic happiness at discovering the twins and weep even harder for your loss this time. Try to find some solace in knowing that both twins were and are aware of how very much they are loved, by you, Niek and their siblings. I'm sure that it was just as hard for the acrobat to leave you as his leaving has been for all of you. Stay strong, sweet lady. Lean on whomever you need to, whenever you need to. And know that cyberspace is just overflowing with our love for you and your family.

Kalu V said...

:(
I NEVER KNOW WHAT TO SAT IN THESE KINDS OF SITUATIONS. I KNOW WHEN I WAS PREGNANT I WOULD HATE IT WHEN THE DOCTORS TOLD ME EVERYTHING WAS OK WHEN I COULD FEEL SOMETHING WEIRD AND THEN ONE DAY I ALMOST LOST HER! WELL I ALMOST LOST HER TWICE. I JUST STOPPED GOING TO THE DOCTOR WHEN I WAS LIKE 7 MONTHS I DIDNT LIKE THE SERVICE AND I FELT THAT THEY DIDNT UNDERSTAND ME AND AFTER THAT LOOKS SHE CAME OUT PERFECT! WHEN THEY TOLD ME THAT SHE HAD BANDS I ASKED WHAT COULD HAPPEN WITH THOSE BANDS...THEY SAID OH NOTHING IT JUST MEANS THAT SHE COULD BE BORN WITHOUT A HAND OR ARM...IF THAT WAS NOTHING I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE WOULD THINK AS SOMETHING.
ANYWAYS HANG IN THERE AND I KNOW ITS HARD BUT TRY NOT TO GET TOO SAD REMEMBER WHEN WE'RE SAD THEY'RE SAD AND HE SHOULDNT BE SAD HE HAS A WHOOOOOLE FAMILY THAT LVES HIM AND IS WAITING FOR HIM WITH OPEN ARMS AND THEN HE HAS MOMMYS STITCHING FRIENDS WHO ARE READY TO OHH AN AHHH OVER HIS PICTURES AND STUFF
I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AND I'M SENDING YOU LOTSA HUGS!!

vee said...

I have been thinking about you alot since I heard your news. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering about you a lot and was glad you wrote an entry here-thank you. That is a good thing, to let it out 'on paper'. I feel that no one is ever really alone-there is someone or something out there, and you do have a great supportive family and lots of friends who are here too.Remember that.

Michele said...

((((barbara))) no words, just gentle hugs and a cup of tea ...

Concetta said...

{{Hugs}} to you... I know we don't really know each other, but your blog is one of my favourites, and I can very easily see what a good person you are and what a wonderful family you have... Know that I'm thinking of you at this difficult time. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.