22 August 2007

getting stronger

Arden's movements are definately - or at least, IMHO - getting stronger. Last night, Niek woke him up and was 'playing' with him (sort of stroking his back) and all at once, Arden gave such a mighty thrash that I jumped half out of bed from the shock of it! He bumped and banged around for a bit, apparently not best pleased about being woken from his sleep. LOL! That's my kid! :D It ended a rough day on a happy note. Yesterday, for whatever reasons, was not a good day. I snapped at the kids and just felt all out-of-sorts all day long.

I've been faking calmness by stitching Christmas stuff. I don't know who I'm stiching for or what I'll pick up next, but for some weird reason, as long as I'm stitching Christmas projects, I feel calmer. I spent quite some time yesterday puzzling this over and came up with the hypothesis that as long as I'm stitching my way toward Christmas, I seem to believe that I can keep everything safe and controllable and that when I stop, the holidays will be here - and so will Arden, safe and sound. Motherhood is so illogical. ;)

Foolish or not, I'll keep doing it. Anything that lends me a bit of calmness has simply got to be okay.

Tomorrow is the big blood test/monitoring day. Six-plus hours, and probably all of it spent at the hospital (because it's next to impossible to get a parking space there). I can just see me with my bottle of disinfectant handcream ... I have such a thing about hospitals! It'll be a true test ... of what, I'm not sure. I've sort of resigned myself to having diabetes - it seems the only explanation for my weight gain/bloating/nausea. Niek is slightly freaked out over the concept of insulin shots, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Heck, if it brings Arden out safely, I think I can handle just about anything. Even a full day hanging out at the hospital with sick people.

6 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

I'm glad your day ended on that happy note, Barbara. And your way of feeling more serene by stitching Christmas stuff is not foolish at all.

Good luck for your long and testing day tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I hope everything will be allright.
all my thoughts to you
hugs
argone
http://argone.over-blog.com

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Barbara,
Hope the tests go well. The hospital isn't my favorite place either but keep those positive thoughts going to baby! That's great about the movement. I miss that feeling. Zack is my last so I have to go back to memories for the feeling of those strong kicks! LOL
Tanya

Sharon said...

What a great way to end the day with Arden thrashing abround. I hope your tests go well.

Margaret said...

Not foolish at all Barbara. I know exactly what you mean & am thankful you have found stitching in the Christmas spirit helps your own spirit.
Love, Margaret

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you are looking forward to December and Arden, thus the Christmas ornaments. Keep making them if they make you feel more relaxed. He sounds so precious already.