20 August 2007

scheduled appointment: 20 August/Schmitz

Today was our first regularly scheduled appointment with Dr. Schmitz after our discussion of how to proceed. She was really open and warm, and I greatly appreciated her efforts to put us at ease. We took the kids with us - it seemed safe, as we'd felt Arden moving regularly all weekend, and I do want them to bond with him.

Arden looks fine - we got another darling view of his face, with his little fisted hands partially blocking the view (as if saying, "Can't you see I'm trying sleep?!") and he's such a lovely looking baby. My proteins and blood pressure were also fine, but my fluid retention has gone haywire. In six days, I've gained 2 kilos (or approximately 5 pounds) and it's all 'bloat'. I've had to move my wedding band to my other hand, and even so it's cutting in painfully (usually it's loose). To be on the safe side, the doctor has ordered my glucose screening for gestational diabetes to be done a few weeks early, so I'll go in on Thursday for that. This is a new one for me - I need to have blood drawn every 2 hours for a six-hour period. Niek's going to stay home with the kids. Phew! Later today, doing housework, I also had some discomfort from that old foe, pelvic instability. I was seriously out of commission for awhile after Max was born due to it, and managed to avoid it during Nicky and Rowen's pregnancies ... but it's reared it's ugly head again. I'll schedule some appointments with the physical therapist once the kids are back in school and stop it before it gets too much of a start.

We are going to go ahead with our booked holiday - a week in Belgium - after discussing it at length. That means my next scheduled appointment won't be until September 4th, but I can go in before that if there are any worries or problems. I'm honestly pretty nervous about going away, but I also believe that the kids need some 'normal' family time together with us. Everything has revolved around the pregnancy for the past weeks now, and I can see signs that the kids need some downtime. We'll only be a couple of hours away, and of course there are hospitals in Belgium, too. ;) I can't shake a feeling of nervousness, but I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't interfere with the kids having a good time.

Last Friday we went in for an unscheduled appointment and had Dr. Wang, who I really liked. He's signed me up for grief counseling and hopefully the consellor will contact me this week and we can schedule an appointment for the week after.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so glad to hear that Arden is doing well, it's such great news! I'm crossing my fingers that you don't have to deal with diabetes stuff and that pelvic instability sounds totally awful. After all that I think you definately deserve some down time to just relax and catch your breath. I'm sure everything will be fine and relaxing at this point sounds like something you should try to do. I'm not going to lie to you and say everything will be perfect but you've gotta try to do normal things or you'll end up knotted into a little ball of nerves and that's so not good for you. Go have fun, take lots of pictures, be happy and remember that we only get this one life to live so embrace it for you and your kids.

Von said...

I had a 4-hr gtt once and all was well - just a hassle to stay at the lab that long, even with stitching and a book. Fingers crossed that your test will come out normal and the bloating is a fleeting event!

A family vacation sounds like just the thing you all need! Do have fun and set your concerns aside for awhile. :) I also like the counseling - good idea. Hugs to you all!

Annemarie said...

Ah, that Kim. She says such wise things...
I'm so glad your appointment went so well, and that you got to get another good look at Arden! Good luck with all the discomforts. I remember I used to wear my wedding ring around my neck (on a necklace, that is) with Pelle :o)
Go and have a good time in Belgium. You deserve it, and so does the rest of your gorgeous family.

Sharon said...

Wonderful news that Arden is thriving! I too hope your diabetes test goes well. I hope you all will enjoy your trip to Belgium-take care. {{{hugs}}}

Ashleigh said...

Barbara, the pelvic instability is awful! I feel so sorry for you. I still have it sometimes now (even tho definitely not pregnant!) and it sucks. Swimming helps.

Kitty Couture said...

I'm so glad you are going away for a week, Barbara. I am sure it will do you all a lot of good.
Arden is a wonderful name. It evokes all sorts of beautiful things to me.
I do hope you will manage to have a relaxing time in Belgium - and that the pelvic instability doesn't get too serious.

((((((hugs)))))) and lots of love. I so cannot wait to meet you in a few months, Barbara.

Margaret said...

Wonderful to hear that Arden is doing so well. It must have been so amazing for the other kids to see their little brother again.
Good idea to take a family vacation - you certainly all deserve and need it. Try and leave your worries behind for just a little while and enjoy.
Love, Margaret

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Arden is doing well. The family holiday is a great idea - you all deserve it. Thanks for the link to pelvic instability, I'm wondering if that's what hit me last night :) I've never heard of it before.

Jenna said...

The blood test isn't too bad, it's just very time-consuming. I went with Terry when he had one done two years ago. You drink some super-sugary stuff, get stuck and repeat ad nauseum. Nothing to worry about, but BRING STITCHING! ;) Glad to hear that you are on vacation!