10 August 2007

no easy words

For several weeks, Niek and I have noticed that the twin on my left, the active one we'd dubbed the 'acrobat' in my sidebar, had not been moving the same way. Actually, there didn't seem to be any movement. When I told the hospital, they sort of poo-poohed me, saying that it was very unlikely to feel any movement so early in a pregnancy. Finally, I couldn't stand the uncertainty any longer and went in for an unscheduled ultrasound last week - my GYN is still on vacation, so I had to go up to the delivery wing in the hospital and wait. And wait. But it all seemed worthwhile when the midwife who did the ultrasound assured me that everything was absolutely 'perfect.' She repeated what we'd already been told, about movement being unreliable under 20 weeks. Apparently most of the medical profession seems to believe that pregnant ladies simply have a lot of gas.

I'd had fears of going into the gender ultrasound with the whole family only to find out that something was wrong. It was like a daytime nightmare or something. But with the hospital's assurance that the babies couldn't be better, Niek and I went ahead with the ultrasound with all the kids present. It was meant to be the first of many 'welcome to the family' parties.

But the moment the technician put the sensor on my belly, we could see that the first twin was dead. Thankfully, we had a very gentle and sympathetic technician, who was able to perform the necessary measurements in a respectful and caring way. Twin A, as she or he had been known, had stopped growing between 14 and 15 weeks. The ultrasound at the hospital only days before remains a mystery - it is clear that the baby had died weeks previously.

Twin B, who we have been feeling more & more often, and who is the first of all my children to be a morning baby (rather than a night owl), was growing on schedule and even slightly ahead of schedule. The heartbeat was strong and regular, and no problems could be spotted during this exam. The technician called my hospital and argued an appointment for us - whomever she was talking to wanted to put us off till after the weekend! - and we dazedly made our way home.

Today we went to the hospital to have a full medical work-up. Twin A's measurements were confirmed at approximately 15 weeks. There is no indication of why he or she died - everything seems absolutely perfect. The situation is eerily like what we went through last year when we lost Pepper, who was also absolutely perfect.

After checking all that could be checked, the exam moved on to the surviving twin. All measurements check out perfectly for 19 weeks. If not spot-on, the baby is slightly (but not abnormally) large for the age. And they measured everything! The motor cortex of the brain, the blood flow through the umbilical cord, the heart chambers and valves, the blood flow through the main arteries ... we were pretty amazed at what they can see and measure! There is absolutely no indication of a defect or abnormality. The technicians were remarkably sensitive and caring. I'm sorry I didn't catch their names - I have the feeling that I just sort of fade in and out of normal conversations and stuff right now - but they were really wonderful.

After that, we waited for a talk with the on-call GYN. That was rather less: the woman's very brusque manner had Niek and I wondering - is it part of some misguided medical training? We noticed the same behavior & mannerisms when we lost the baby last year, though we were at a different hospital. In short, the pregnancy will now continue as a singleton pregnancy which sort of places it at lower risk, but not really since we don't know why one twin died. There's no way of knowing if whatever happened to the one will happen to the other. When my GYN returns from holiday next week, we'll also meet with her.

I'm having some issues not only dealing with the staggering grief ... I don't believe I'd have made it through yesterday without Niek's constant support ... but also with anger. I go through these waves of fury. Furious with a doctor who left me for over 7 weeks with the comment that 'nothing much happens during the next couple of months'; furious with the midwife who totally and unforgiveably botched the ultrasound last week and left us to find out in the most unfortunate manner possible, turning a family celebration into shock, sadness, and confusion; furious at the medical profession which dismisses the genuine feelings of a pregnant woman because they're the doctors and they know better (who's going to know my body better - me, who's lived in it nearly 40 years, or a doctor who has spoken to me once or twice?). And then there's an anger that just doesn't have anywhere to go.

For the past two days, I've been sort of staggering from one minute to the next. Seriously, if it weren't for Niek, I'd be totally lost. And my kids. My heavens, they are some serious little lifelines. And we do have a healthy - for now, at least - little boy who needs us all to focus on the postitives, to will him through the next 20 weeks so he can get kisses from his brothers and sister and feel the arms of the mom and dad who have hoped and cried and dreamed of his arrival.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel all your emotions through your words. Sorry doesn't seem adequate. Hold your little fellow close to your heart right now.

Sharon said...

Barbara, I don't even know what to say. I am just so overwhelmingly sad that this has happened to you all. My thoughts and prayers are with you. {{{{hugs}}}}

Anonymous said...

My condolences go out to you and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Annemarie said...

Dearest Barbara, Niek, Max, Nicky and Rowen, I really don't know what to say, except that I'm so terribly sorry for all of you. What can you do or say in such a confusing time as this, except 'dicht bij elkaar kruipen'. {{{{hugs}}}}

Mylene said...

I am so sorry to hear of the sad news and all what had happened previously with the check ups. Prayers are with you and Niek.
Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Barbara}}}} You know I'm so sorry that this has happened and that I'm thinking of you. Take care.

BeckySC said...

Dear friend, my heart breaks for you. I wish I knew what to say to help-I just want you to know you are so loved and cared for by so many. Since I have known you, I have been amazed at the loving parent you are. I know it must be so difficult and I can understand the feelings you are having-even the anger. I think you need to feel them all and go through each and every feeling to get through it all and to make some sense of it. Pleae know that you and your loving family will be in my thoughts and prayers constantly.
(((((((((((Barbara))))))))))
Do take care and take all the time you need. Please know that if I can do anything to please let me know.

Heather said...

Oh my dear Barbara, I am so sorry, I have you and your sweet family in my prayers.

stitcherw said...

I am so terribly sorry {{hugs}}
Sue

Anna van Schurman said...

Oh, sweetheart, you have all my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

All my love to you, Niek and the family, Barbara.

Faith Ann said...

Barbara, I am so sorry for your loss.

Katrina said...

I am so very sorry, words just can't express it. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Juls said...

((((((((hugs)))))) I don't have any words, this is just so sad. Take care you and your family are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am still reeling since your phone call. I kept hoping all day yesterday that there had been some dreadful mistake and that everything was fine after all.

Will keep thinking of you while you try to work out your feelings about this. I wouldn't know where to start.

Call me next week and maybe we can come see you on Friday.

I love you all.

cathymk said...

Barbara all I can send is ((hugs)). I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your family Barbara. (((Hugs))) to you all.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Barbara, words cannot express my deepest sympathy to you and your family for your loss. I'm inadequate with words that can help comfort you. But know I will keep you and your family in my prayers and I will pray mightily for the little man you now carry to continue to grow and thrive until his welcoming birth. Much love to you and sincerely if there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm more than willing to help in any way I can.
(((hugs)))

Nicole said...

Barbara, words can't even express how sorry I am. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. Please take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, Barbara, I'm so sorry this happened... (((hugs)))

Margaret said...

Dear, dear Barbara, Niek and family,
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you during this very sad time.
Love, Margaret

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a little while, just before you announced you were expecting twins in fact. I just wanted to add my condolences. Such a sad time and I wish you all the support and strength you need to get through.

vee said...

Barbara, lots of love and hugs to your family at this time. I am so truly sorry that you are going through such an experience.

Mindi said...

My condolences and thoughts are with you during. I've never had children, so I can't say I understand what you're going through, but I have dealt with inconsiderate and/or incompetant medical professionals.

Deb said...

Dearest Barbara, Your friends are here, and the angels are standing with each and every one of you...your precious family in heaven and on earth.
Love, Deb

Rowyn said...

Sending you and your family lots of hugs. xx

Michele said...

Barbara and Niek, I'm so very sorry you and your family have had to endure this loss .. I sorry about you were treated by the medical field that was supposed to be taking care of you and listening to you .. my prayers will be with you and your children.

Meari said...

My heart is in my throat. Barbara, I am so sorry! I'm sitting here on the verge of tears after reading about what happened. :(