04 September 2007

4 September - measurements & more at IJsselland

Last week, while we were in Belgium, Arden's movements began becoming much stronger and we were able to clearly feel him every day. That was the high point of the holiday for me! He actually wakes me up in the early hours, somewhere between 4 and 6 am, nearly every day for awhile. Never thought I'd be so happy to be awoken before dawn! LOL!

So when we went in for today's appointment, we were reasonably certain things would go well. Still, there's always that element of fear ... and the ultrasound machine in the doctor's office wasn't working properly, so when she first put the sensor on my belly, we couldn't see a heartbeat. I could feel him moving, and just concentrated on that, trying to ignore the monitor. Dr. Schmitz quickly arranged for us to go to the special ultrasound room, where they have a very state-of-the-art new machine, for the measurements, and concentrated on getting my information down on the chart. No weight gain at all for me - hooray! After the last two appointments, it looked like I'd soon need my own zip code. The glucose levels were as close to perfect as possible, so no worries about gestational diabetes at this time. Phew! My blood pressure was nice & low, as it should be. Basically, a green light for health.

After a remarkably short wait for the ultrasound room, we were treated to a nice long, leisurely look at Arden while he showed us his new tricks. :D The technician was also eager to show off all that the new machine could do, so after all the measurements had been taken (and he measures out about a week ahead of time, i.e. 23 1/2 weeks instead of 22 1/2 - Yay!), we were treated to a 3D scan. WOW! Not only 3D still shots, which we'd seen before, but real-time 3D movements. It was incredible! I'm still sort of goosebump-y from it. It's like a God's-eye-view of life, seeing a baby in the womb like that. It appear that, at least in shape, Arden is going to take after his big brother Nicky quite a lot. Of course we have no idea if he'll inherit the lovely Dutch coloring from his father or my darker hair & eyes, but he certainly has Nicky's overall shape so far. Handsome baby!! :D

16 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Oh, Barbara - that is fantastic. Congratulations. I'm so happy that you are both so healthy. And *you* must be so relieved! ((((hugs))))

Sharon said...

Fantastic news Barbara! I am glad that you are both doing so well and no diabetes is just the icing on the cake! Big smiles over here! {{{hugs}}}

Kim said...

That is fantastic news! How wonderful! Technology is so amazing. :D Glad to hear that your health is great too. :) ((hugs))

Nicole said...

That's so great to hear Barbara! I'm so glad little Arden is doing well! :) That's awesome they did the 3-D ultrasound. Those are so neat! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything was well. The 3D scans are amazing aren't they. You can see them so clearly. The one we had done we held the photo against Riley when he was born and it really did look like him, only he was chubbier after birth.

Michele said...

you gave me goosebumps just describing the 3D scan! how wonderful all is going well for you and Niek and Arden :)

Annemarie said...

I'm so happy for you, Barbara! The 3D scan sounds awesome. I'm also very happy to hear you're doing well yourself, and you had me laughing out loud with your remark about needing your own zip code. Funny girl, you!

Ashleigh said...

Fantastic news Barbara!

Anonymous said...

No pictures for us to see? Please, please, pretty please!!

Chiloe said...

It's great everything is going well !!! Keep taking care of both of you !!! (((hugs )))

Anonymous said...

Isn't the 3D just the most amazing thing you've ever seen. My husband has the stills for one of ours as the wall paper on his computer - gives me chills every time I see it.

So glad things are going well.

tintocktap said...

Sounds like a fantastic appointment - glad to hear things are so positive.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift for you! I'm so glad that you were able to get the 3D scan and see Arden. :)

Von said...

I'm so glad you could give us such a wonderful report. I especially appreciate your glee at not having gained weight, lol!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a great doctor's appt! So much to look forward to in December. So you are due a week earlier?

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am so pleased that Arden is going well with his measurements.