05 December 2007

he turned!

Yesterday was probably the most uncomfortable, physically speaking, day of this pregnancy. I'll spare you the details, other than saying it was painful and that I felt intensely nauseous all day. But when I went to bed, guess who was vertical rather than horizontal!!!

Niek and I are burning with curiousity as to whether Arden will continue to mimic the actions of big brother Nicky, who also turned at the last moment. A couple of days after Nicky turned, my water broke and shortly after that, labor was induced in the hospital. If Arden were born this week, there is still a very large possibility that he could take the 'normal' route. Niek's already cautioning me not to get my hopes up, and he's right. So I'll simply add that from a purely practical point of view, the vertical position will also simplify the Cesarean. The transverse position he was in until last night makes the operation somewhat more complicated and also necessitates a bigger cut.

A few people have continued to ask why we didn't have Arden manually turned, which is normally a possibility. The reason is because the placenta is on the front, and the force necessary for a manual manipulation would've almost certainly torn the placenta loose.

And to the couple of commenters who've suggested haptonomy, thank you. We have had a haptonoom therapist for the past three pregnancies (including this one). So that base has already been covered. But for anyone who is pregnant or thinking of venturing down that path, haptonomy is something that Niek and I whole-heartedly suggest. It's an amazing way to begin bonding with your baby, to nurture your bond with your partner, and you learn so much that will help with the actual birthing process.

Today, instead of feeling like I have an opened ironing board in my belly, I feel rather like I've been beaten with sticks. But, boy, am I happy! :D

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh Barbara! I am so happy for you-I hope this will make things easier whichever way it goes. I am getting excited-he may come soon!

Kitty Couture said...

That is very good news, Barbara. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed (OK, one foot excepted!) that everything turns out for the very best. :) Thinking of you!

Chiloe said...

That's great !!! I'm keep my fingers crossed that you get the delivery you want !!! I'm very happy for you !!! :-) When is your next doctor appointment?

Ruth's Place said...

Great news!! I'm keeping fingers crossed for you too.

Unknown said...

Oh, this is indeed good news!!! I am so glad for you and I am hoping and praying that things will go smoothly from here on out!!!

Von said...

Barbara, what a wonderful "turn" of events! Lol - sorry I couldn't help myself. :D Now that Arden is in a good position, I hope you have a day of quiet to recuperate.

Michele said...

woo hoo! wtg Arden!!! this is the best news!! keep those positive thoughts flowing!

Nicki said...

Oh such good news :) It might not be long now :)

Cathy B said...

Exciting news Barbara!

Annemarie said...

You have the loveliest, most obliging set of kids I have ever heard of. I'm so happy for you! Now I'm keeping everything crossed that he will stay in this position. And who knows? Maybe your MIL will turn out to be right?

Margaret said...

Just checking in as I do every morning and what do I see - Great news!!! So glad that Arden has turned as like you said it will make his entrance into the world so much easier.
Will be back tomorrow. Take care.