06 December 2007

almost only counts in horseshoes

My dad used to say that to me all the time when I would go on about something that "almost" happened ... almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades.

Last night was a sleepless one here, due to Nicky being very ill with a stomach bug and Arden being very active in the stomach. ;) He was delving down deeper and deeper into my pelvis, and I was having occassional cramps. All good signs! Then when I got up a little after 6:30 with Nicky (for like the millionth time since we started at 1 am), I was sure my water broke. I'd had the whole night to think about what to do, and in what order, should this come up, so we were like a well-oiled machine here. Call the in-laws, leave a message at the school that the boys weren't coming, get Max up and dressed, care for the animals, grab the camera and hospital suitcase, etc. Seamless. Normally, I would not go to the hospital for "just" broken water, but the GYN had said to come at the first sign of spontaneous labor, so I was following directions.

We got there and had a lovely nurse, but unfortunately the midwife on duty thought she was Cleopatra reincarnated or something. At one point, if you can believe it, she actually told Niek to be quiet when he tried to ask a question because she was busy talking. Our 3-year old daughter isn't allowed to talk to people that way! We never even saw the GYN who was on duty.

Anyway, said midwife decided my water was not ruptured and sent me home, after giving me a big lecture. I am so seriously NOT a fan of so many of the people we've encountered at this hospital. Particularly, I'm sick and tired of being treated like some sort of pregnant nutcase with an overactive imagination.

But I digress, because a few hours after we came home, Dr. Schmitz (my GYN) called to say that thanks to Arden now being in perfect position, we can go ahead and try for the 'normal' delivery even if the ultrasound measurements indicate that his head has (slightly) exceeded 10 cm. So today's little story does have a happy ending - hooray!

9 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Oh Barbara! That is wonderful! Keeping my fingers and half my toes crossed for you. ((((hugs))))

Marita said...

That is great news. I'm so happy for you.

Keeping up the prayers.

Chiloe said...

See: sometimes we over react, taking everything that is said to us too seriously (can't find the right words :( ) I'm so happy for you !!! That is such a great news! I thought about you when I went to H&M and saw the baby clothes: I thought Arden is going to here very soon!!!

I hate rude people, everywhere they are and especially in hospitals where people need to be calm. I often wonder why we let them be that way ...

Let's keep our fingers crossed !!!

((((((((hugs))))))))))

Von said...

Great news, Barbara!! He's such a good baby. :D

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am so happy that Arden has turned, what a good boy!!

Margaret said...

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

Anonymous said...

So pleased to hear this news Barbara! I'm impressed that you're so organised too! :D Thinking of you and keeping everything crossed.

Jane said...

Oh Barbara I am so pleased little Arden turned. What a relief and now you are ready for action! Sorry you had to endure an overbearing and crabby midwife. You will soon not have to deal with them anymore. Then come the pediatricians, teachers...:)

tintocktap said...

I had my sleepless nights last week with my DS and his earache - and I know exactly what you mean about active babies in the stomach - I seem to have a busy little one here these days. Sounds like all is well with Arden - hopefully he's getting ready to put in an appearance in his own time, on his own terms. Hope all continues to go well.