11 December 2007

letting Mother Nature take the lead

So, today was another checkup with the GYN. At my last GYN appointment, the doctor had told us that a Cesarean was almost 100% certain to be necessary, so today's appointment would have been to make the arrangements for that. However, since Arden is in the right position now, and Dr. Schmitz knows how strongly I prefer a normal delivery, we are going to wait and see how things go.

It may turn out that his head is too big to fit through the birth canal and that we wind up having a Cesarean anyway, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. The doctor assured me that Arden is not in any way at any risk should this be the case. What would happen is that labor would start, but he would be unable to engage in the pelvis. The doctor would check to see why labor wasn't progressing and would find out that his head is too big, and then we would go to Plan B, the Cesarean. It would not be an emergency Cesarean, and he would not be at risk. They're also aware of the shoulder issue that occurred when Max was born, and will probably deliver Arden the same way they did with Nicky, calling for a halt to the pushing while they ease out first one shoulder and then the other. (A little easier said than done, but we've been practicing our breathing exercise for that!)

Basically, I guess I don't really have any news for you - no specific due date or anything thrilling like that. I will now visit the GYN weekly, and she'll check if I've dilated. If I have, she will check me in to the maternity ward and we'll focus on having the baby that day. Or if labor starts on its own, Niek and I will make another drive to the hospital. Just the usual wait & see game of having a baby. ;) I doubt very much we'll go beyond our due date of 4 January though, because he continues to measure out at about 4 weeks ahead of schedule. He waved to us during today's measurements!

12 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Barbara, I am so happy about that.
Several times a day, I wonder: perhaps Arden is being born today? :)

Big hugs!

Ruth's Place said...

Hope it all goes well!

Marita said...

Good news. Keeping praying that things go well for you.

Annemarie said...

Just wait and see... sounds much more relaxed than it actually is! I really do hope everything will go smoothly and that Arden feels like celebrating Christmas with the rest of you.

Von said...

Now you're playing the waiting game in earnest!

Mystie's baby was making movements like she was going from head down to transverse, but Mystie exerted pressure to keep her in place. She was rewarded with kicks to the stomach and terrible heartburn, which she was happy to endure! :D So far baby has stayed in her proper place.

Waving back to Arden!!

Nic said...

Oh, that's good news! I'm glad you can go back to "Plan A" :o)

I do wonder every day if you haven't posted at your usual sort of time if you're at the hospital welcoming Arden into the world ... hopefully it won't be long...

Chiloe said...

How cute to say hello to his parents !!! :-) I hope everything will go the way you want !!! I keep my fingers crossed for you Barbara ;-) And I'm glad you didn't stop this blog ;-)

kgjames said...

Have you read Gloria Lemay's article on pelvises - http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp. It brought me a lot of comfort and confidence in my pelvis. I was labeled CPD in my surgical report, but I'll never ever believe that. I think my DD was in a bad position. I also recommend this CPD video - http://www.youtube.com/user/ICANvoices - where time and time again women have proven that their pelvises do work even after having been labeled incompetent.

Wishing you all the best and a wonderful empowering birth experience!
http://labortrials.wordpress.com
http://www.ican-online.org

Nicki said...

Gosh, not long to go! I posted your exchange today and wondered whether it or Arden would arrive first! So pleased you can try for a natural birth - crossed fingers you won't need a C section after all :)

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Waving - how cute!!! Seems like yesterday when you shared the news - time sure flies by too fast.

Enjoy the rest of the week.
Tanya

Sharon said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan to me! I am hoping and praying that you get the delivery you want. {{hugs}}

Cathy B said...

Two of my brothers were born on January 4 - exactly one year apart. Looking forward to hearing the joyful news of Arden's birth!