12 July 2007

want information about living in the Netherlands?

Then go to Ash! Yes, she may be an expat who hasn't even lived a full decade here, but the woman seriously knows her stuff!

On Monday I had an appointment with my family doctor, as you may remember, to discuss my fears of delivering the twins while surrounded by total strangers. I specifically asked my doctor about doulas and she said no such thing existed in this country - you could have an OB-GYN or a midwife, but those were the only choices when it came to childbirth.

She was wrong! Ash read my post and immediately responded with the name of an acquaintance of hers who had done doula work - and even volunteered to do it herself if I couldn't find a pro (now how many friends would offer to do something like that?!). Through Ash's contact, I made contact with another doula who led me to the website for the Dutch association of registered doulas. I've now spoken to two wonderful women on the phone and am certain that when my wee travellers decide to make their Grand Entrance, Niek and I will not be walking into that deliver room alone!

Thank you, Ash!

For those left wondering, "What is a doula?", in a nutshell:

A doula is a trained labor support person who provides emotional and physical support to a laboring woman and her partner. She is not a medical person, but she can offer a wide range of comfort measures during labor, continuous reassurance, and coping techniques. In my situation, she can also act as an on-the-fly translator, since my higher brain functions short out during labor. LOL! A doula is a trusted and familiar face in an unfamiliar and sometimes scary situation who knows how you want your birth experience to go and will help you achieve that if it is possible.

Women supported by a doula during labor have been shown to have:

50% reduction of cesarean rate
25% shorter labor
60% reduction in epidural requests
30% reduction in analgesia use
40% reduction in forceps delivery
(figures taken from here)

I have never had medical pain relief during childbirth, and don't plan to start now. I also don't want an epidural, so it will be helpful to have someone else present who can help me hold the medical staff in check (they are so eager to offer drugs for the pain).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for Ash! Rather disturbing, though, that the doctor said no such thing exists in Holland...

I'm glad that you now have more support and it has helped make the delivery a whole lot less scary and uncertain :)

Sharon said...

Great news Barbara!

Aussie Stitcher said...

What a great idea to have a doula present. Barbara could you please email me at jmwr @ deakin . edu.au no spaces of course, with your address and some preferences of what you need/want for your babies. It would give me a great deal of pleasure to put a package together for you.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

So glad I was able to help! I need to write a bit about doulas on my blog especially seeing as my friend Jane is one, and has written such moving posts on her own blog about her work.

Von said...

Hallelujah!!

Not surprising that the doc wouldn't give you info about doulas, she might "interfere" in they way they want to "manage" your labor! Huge kudos to Ash! :D