09 July 2007

rolling up my shirtsleeves

Today I tore through the under-the-eaves cupboards on my side of the bedroom. What a lot of dust! I'm still sneezing. LOL. I have three large boxes of clothing to donate, one box of kids' clothes that I need to launder and transfer to Nicky and Rowen's cupboards, and a small stack of clothes that I hope will fit me again ... someday. I also found more maternity clothes hiding way in back - what a relief! I really thought I'd gotten rid of all of them and that I'd be stuck in the same pair of stretchy brown pants for the whole pregnancy. So my laundry pile has tripled, but it's well worth it. I also found Max's baby quilt, made by my sister Sharon, that I will launder and use for the twins. It'll be the start of a family heirloom. :)

My talk with my family doctor went well. My blood pressure is very fine - apparently the reading taken at my last GYN appointment was reflecting my stress at hearing that my GYN wouldn't be the one to deliver the twins. My doctor said there really isn't a work-around to the on-duty system that's used here for deliveries. Doctors simply are not 'on call' and come in for the deliveries of their own patients. Nor do doulas, labor coaches, or any intermediary position between 'regular Joe' and medical professions exist under the Dutch system. Basically, it's like buying a lottery ticket. She did suggest that instead of having all my appointments with one GYN that I rotate through the department and have all the doctors for at least one appointment so it won't be a total stranger that I'm confronted with at the time of the delivery. Far from ideal, but it is a practical suggestion that I'll follow through on. She was also glad I wanted to start with a dietician now because apparently I'm at fairly high risk for gestational diabetes - age, twins, and weight. :( So I've got the names and numbers to set that up this afternoon.

On the baby-front, I will be an aunt tomorrow afternoon! My SIL is having a scheduled C-section to deliver a baby girl. :)

5 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Barbara,
Did you have GD before? You know I had it twice and had to take insulin the second time - it was annoying but of course worth it and it goes away after delivery.

Oh I hate dust and we get a lot of it in this condo for some reason. I'm constantly cleaning! Achooooooo

Anonymous said...

So glad that your family doctor could offer some practical advice. The rotation thing sounds like a very good work-around to your problem.

Glad things are continuing to go well!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I know an English speaking doula if you're interested. She does travel out on-call. I think she is based near where you are too! Otherwise I could doula for you if you wouldn't think it was odd.

Margaret said...

Dear Barbara,
I just have to let you know how much I'm enjoying this wonderful journey with you. Thank you so much for all you share.
Oh how I feel for you with this business of not having your own GYN at the birth. I went through the same thing (with the vroedvrouw) when I had Michael (our oldest). Vroedvrouw on vacation, the final few visits with a sub who I really didn't like at all and DIDN'T WANT!! But what happens? Michael is born on a Sunday and there is a different VV on duty - a very pleasant woman and everything turned out fine. We'll all keep our fingers crossed that you have the most amazing GYN attending the twins birth.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your new niece or nephew. hope everything went fine.

and I'm glad all is well with the twins. you have to work with our Dutch system. it has its nice sides, but certainly its downsides too.
fingers crossed for the gyn you want at your bedside when the time comes.