13 July 2007

doula found, gender screening scheduled

In spite of being busy entertaining curious acquaintences who apparently just wanted to see what a real-life soon-to-be mother-of-five looks like (talk about feeling like you're on the wrong side of the glass at the zoo!), a lot of baby stuff has gotten done this week. Today I met with Anna, who will be our doula at the twins' birth. She's had experience at a twin birth, so that's also reassuring. She had a chance to see me when I was not exactly at my best, having gotten rather hopelessly lost driving around The Hague for about an hour. But you know, how she 'handled' me was actually the clincher. I know what I'm like when I'm in one of those moods, and she did a great job giving me room to be frustrated/stressy while not buying into it herself. No small feat, as those who know me best will attest.

And I've scheduled the ultrasound to peek at the twins' gender(s). Here in Holland, this sort of ultrasound is referred to as a 'fun echo' and takes place in private practice, rather than through your doctor or hospital. So you have to make an extra appointment and cough up some cash. We're going to the same place we went during Nicky and Rowen's pregnancies and we're making it a big family event so all the kids can see the twins "on TV". Should be lots of fun! :D

Now to get those library books out of the library and into the space I've cleared in the attic. I'm thinking of rigging up some sort of pulley system, so I don't have to make ten thousand trips up and down the stairs carrying books. It shouldn't be hard to do ...

We are at 15 weeks today. My, how time flies!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wat geweldig "een doula" had er nog nooit van gehoord. Waren die in mijn tijd er ook al? dat was wel erg fijn geweest maar ik begin er nu toch niet meer aan! love Brigitte

Sharon said...

Oh that was quick! I am very glad that you found someone that will work with you. I can't wait for the fun echo and I bet neither can you. I am hoping you will get another girl if not two. Of course it doesn't matter as long as they are okay!

Margaret said...

Congrats on finding your 'doula'. I can't ever remember hearing of them before but they sound great.
I had to laugh in your last post about the language thing. When I was delivering Michael I guess I got to a point that I was speaking English rather than Dutch and after the birth the co-assistent said "U bent zeker niet een nederlander?"

Kitty Couture said...

I'm glad you found a good doula, Barbara. I can only imagine how much that means to you.
Can't wait to know more about the "fun echo"! I was wondering whether you wanted to know the twins' genders beforehand. Every combination would be fun, wouldn't it!

((((Barbara))))