02 July 2007

IJsselland: second prenatal checkup with Schmitz

Today's appointment was a bit disappointing - I hit a parking barrier in the (seriously overcrowded) hospital lot and then the doctor was running nearly an hour behind and had an intern (who was very in-your-face). In an apparent attempt to catch up to her schedule, she was practically pushing me out the door as soon as I came. I did have a chance to ask a few questions:

*regarding the due date: she says I'm to consider 4 Jan our due date and not to re-consider for 37 weeks
I guess this means I'll continue to go through the long explanation I've been using, about how the 40 week date is Jan. 4th, but the realistic date is Dec. 14th.

*regarding concerns about diet/gestational diabetes: there is not much to do about gestational diabetes unless it comes up (which is totally contrary to all I've read in regard to dietary changes)although I may want to decrease my bread and fruit intake
I'll call my former dietician, who helped so much with my asthma/sinus issues a few years ago. I hope she's still in the book!

*regarding who will perform the delivery: whoever is on duty will deliver the twins (and that probably won't be her because she only works 3 days a week)
For someone already trying not to freak about a hospital delivery (I'm a strong proponent for home births), the thought of facing a team of total strangers at such an emotional and potentially scary moment is threatening to seriously overwhelm me.

*regarding hospital policy on twin births: the hospital has a policy of trying for vaginal twin deliveries and only intervening with a C-section if there is no choice. So an epidural the moment I walk in the door is not mandatory.
Okay, there's the only good news in the whole lot. I do want the chance for a normal delivery but of course if intervention is necessary, that's all there is to it.

The ultrasound was super-fast - just enough to see the babies and check the heartbeats. No measurements. My urine was fine, whatever that means ;), and my weight is only about 1 kilo more than it was before I got pregnant. My blood pressure was 130/90, which is higher than I'd like to see it but they didn't say a word. And weirdly, I don't go back for 7 weeks because 'not much happens for the next couple of months' according to the doctor.

But the good news is, they babies are fine and so am I. If the doc thinks I don't need another appointment for such a long time, I'm going to take that as sign that everything is peachy keen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{{Barbara}}}} I'm glad everything is going well, but sorry that the appointment was a little rushed and not very reassuring on some points.

Kim said...

Congrats! That's great news! I think they are wrong about "not much happening for the next 7 weeks" though. LOL

Sharon said...

That was a rushed appointment! I am glad things are well. They probably checked your urine for protein. Everytime I went tothe dr. I had to pee in a cup. So-fine most likely means no protein. Your BP was probably up to due to sheer anxiety though.

Kitty Couture said...

I'm glad you and the babies are fine, Barbara. How frustrating though to have such an uncaring doctor. :(

Anonymous said...

Good news that you are still doing well, as are the little ones in your womb. :) Don't let the doctor rush you, though. If you feel like they are not giving you the attention that you deserve, I wouldn't hesitate to say to them that you can appreciate that they are running behind, but that you have some valid concerns that you want to discuss without feeling rushed. *hug*

Anonymous said...

too bad it looked like routine for them, it isn't for you!
one reassurment (for what it's worth): a perfect stranger delivered my second child (at home), but I couldn't care less, the main thing was the delivery of my child at that fase...
and I support you on Dec. 14th, it's wiser to be prepared...