29 October 2007

strange measurements

Today was our biweekly checkup at the hospital. It's actually been 3 weeks since I last "saw" Arden, so the ultrasound was very welcome. Betsy, the ultrasound tech, got the most amazing picture of him that I'll try to do a decent job of scanning. It looks just like a picture of a sleeping baby. He has chubby little cheeks and Nicky's nose. :D

Until now, Arden has measured out almost exactly 2 weeks larger than normal. We haven't worried because his growth has been incredibly consistent. And then, three weeks ago, it turned out that I have an excess of amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios)but it didn't seem to be affecting Arden in any adverse ways and my blood tests had all gone the right way ... so it was decided to just monitor it. This week the fluid levels are still too high, but consistent with the last measurements.

However, Arden's measurements have gone wonky. In particular, his head now measures at 36 weeks and a couple of days even though he's only 30 weeks and 3 days. His abdomen is large, but still consistent with his growth (i.e. about 2 weeks larger than normal). The lab tech looked and couldn't see any brain abnormalities or cranial fluid build-up, but Dr. Schmitz has referred me to the much larger medical facility in Rotterdam for an extensive ultrasound/prenatal diagnostic. I'll go in on Thursday morning.

Trying not to worry, as everything else seems okay ....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get your appointment for this week.

They put so many expectations on these machines these days with the measurements and such and they're not always 100% correct. I was told from being 30 weeks pregnant that Riley was going to be a very large baby. They told me every time I went that he was measuring weeks larger, even up until my last scan 2 days before he was born. He came out at the less than average weight of 6lb 15oz and was too small for even newborn clothes.

Anyway honey, I know you don't really want to hear other peoples ramblings at the moment, so good luck with the new scan, and maybe you'll get an even better image of Arden than usual if this is a super duper machine!

Chiloe said...

Yes, try not to worry and keep the same routine. He's probably going to be a large baby. Are you other kids tall?

Stitch, stitch, stitch to not think too much ;-)

(((hugs)))

Karoline said...

{{{{Barbara}}}} I hope the scan goes well

Kitty Couture said...

(((Barbara)))
Karen is right - those monitors aren't always accurate. They said the opposite about Robin. He was supposed to be a small baby and he turned out to be a big boy!
Still, I totally understand how hard it is not to worry. (((hugs))) and big smiles!

Can't wait to see Arden's chubby cheeks. :)

Marita said...

Praying it is something minor and the new scan shows up no problems.

Sharon said...

Barbara, I think it is going to turn out to be nothing. I can't say that I have ever of a baby's head measuring that far ahead especially if the tech can't find another reason for it. Those machines are not 100% and then you factor in the human componet-well then you get room for error. Keeping you all in my prayers. (((hugs)))

Jane said...

I am keeping you in my prayers. Try to get lots of rest and don't worry!

Anonymous said...

Stay positive. I'm always thinking of you, your family and Arden. Don't worry, stay healthy, and keep yourself busy. :)

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

I won't say don't worry because you are and that's human nature. I will pray all is OK and that it's just one of those crazy computers we rely on so much in this world but they can go wrong and give weird outputs. I'll be eager to know how your Rotterdam appt goes. Take good care; I'm thinking of you.
Tanya

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you in my thoughts, as always, Barbara. I know that everything will turn out the way it's supposed to. Arden will be a healthy, happy little boy! *hug*

Anonymous said...

I have popped over and feel I have to say good luck, and I am thinking of you
xxx