21 October 2007

doctors and therapists and pills, oh my!

I haven't been updating quite as regularly because I don't want to come across sounding like I'm complaining. Still and all, I suppose an update is warranted, simply to avoid forgetting stuff later. (Something I am very good at!)

My last checkup with the GYN was the 15th. Dr. Schmitz was back from her holiday and I had my mental list of questions and concerns for her. The glucose screening was, as I knew, fine. The other bloodwork was also satisfactory (iron was low, but always is). The urine testing turned up an intestinal bacterial infection that required treatment by antibiotics (amoclan, 125 mg 3xdaily). I'd lost the kilo that I'd gained at the last appointment. The ultrasound tech was out, so no measurements this week, but we did check him with the scan to ensure his heartrate seemed fine. As for the excess of amniotic fluid, she stressed that it is an excess of measurements, not a clinical excess. In her opinion, it's not likely to trigger a premature labor, which was my great concern. Of course, her opinion ... well, her opinion doesn't exactly reassure me, but I can't second guess everything all the time. Blood pressure was somewhere right around normal (120/80) which is slightly higher than it has been, but the assistant took it while Dr. Schmitz was talking to me, and it seems like that causes my BP to increase. Go figure. LOL!

The antibiotics really caused me some concern, because I was taking antiobiotics when we lost the baby last year. Dr. Schmitz reassured me repeatedly that these were safe to take during pregnancy, and the pharmacist said the same when I grilled her on any possible side effects. The killing off of all those nasty bacteria, however, did spark a most unpleasant yeast infection. Yay. Do you think I could find "live" yogurt anywhere? Naturally not. Did some online reading for other at-home treatments, as I know from past experience that the Monostat-variety medications do not agree with my system. I will spare you the details other than to say I've discovered yet another use for garlic. ;)

I've also been to an amazing haptonoom who put me through some extraordinary breathing exercises that benefitted my asthma problems as well. Unfortunately, I have to be laying down to do them. But he also showed me a way to sit that really takes the strain off that muscle - what a lifesaver! It's obvious, though, that I will have to continue to cut back on what I can reasonably tackle as the pregnancy continues. There's just no way around it. Thankfully, I have wonderful kids who are capable of cutting me some slack and I have an incredible husband who is supportive at every turn.

The upcoming week is not only a school vacation for the kids, but also filled with various appointments. I'll see my regular PT for the pelvic issues. That's well under control, thankfully, but the bi-weekly pain massage (LOL!) really helps keep it under control and I don't want to give that up. I'll also be seeing my "regular" haptonoom, who saw us through Nicky and Rowen's pregnancies. She's a remarkable person and I am really looking forward to seeing her. I'll also be going in for a half-day of work at the office and putting in about a half-day from home. Yay for paychecks!

I've also had my first meeting with a grief counsellor, who actually seems to know what's what. I've ordered a REBT workbook from Amazon.com that will hopefully arrive by the end of the week, giving me about 2 weeks to "study" for our next appointment. Niek and I have talked about the need to make the final arrangements for the twin we lost, a talk we've both been avoiding.

And so things continue slowly heading in the right direction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Di you know garlic is a natural and powerful antibiotic? Just don't eat the green inside. I cut it in small pieces and swallow it like a caplet. I don' like the taste so I also eat bread with it. I'm glad to read that everything is pretty well under control ;-) I keep my fingers crossed for you !!!

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Barbara,
I was thinking about you this morning and happy to find this blog updated so I can see what's been going on with the wee one-to-be! Glad things are continuing well and your BP sounds good to me. Mine went up towards the end and I was on meds for it which freaked me out - anything we take while pregnant naturally makes us worry but the DR should know and apparently eased your mind so that's good.

I can only imagine how tough that 'talk' will be for the two of you.

Take care,
Tanya

Margaret said...

So good to read a new post here Barbara.

As soon as I saw 'yeast infection' I thought yoghurt!! and then I read on to see that was exactly what you were looking for. It really does work wonders and I hope you have been able to get some.

Glad to hear your visits to the haptonoom are helping you. Both DH and DD have visited one in the past and were very pleased with the results.

It is so wonderful that you have been able to find a good grief counsellor who can help guide you and Niek through this difficult time.

My thoughts are with you so often - I hope you feel all the good vibes I'm sending your way.