05 October 2007

2nd round of glucose screening

Today marks the amazing 27 week milestone. Okay, it's not really a milestone, but in 'just' 10 weeks, Arden could be born and not be premature. Yes, I'm grasping for milestones wherever I can and it is a little pathetic. I was telling Niek last night that I feel guilty that I can't just relax and enjoy this pregnancy - that maybe I'm not a good enough mom - but I keep worrying about the spectre of premature birth ... and of the worse things that yet could happen. I do grab my bits of joy when they come along, though! Today's glucose testing went great and I show no signs of diabetes. My values were 5.4 at 9 am, 5.1 at noon (hadn't eaten yet), and 5.8 at 2 pm (had a vegetable & boiled egg sandwich at 1 pm).

To deal with the torn abdominal muscle, I've been wearing these very snug 'body bag' undergarments that my mom sent me. Arden hates them because he doesn't have all the room in the world to bounce around in, but they really do a wonder for supporting that muscle. (The soonest I've been able to get an appointment with a PT is October 18th. Anyone with a teenager who isn't sure of a future career - physical therapy!!!) I give Arden a break about every 3rd day by wearing normal underwear (if you can call the tents that are maternity undergarments 'normal'!). He reacts like a VERY large Mexican jumping bean on these days. LOL. It hurts, but it's well worth it when I imagine his joy at having unrestricted movement.

Yesterday, my belly 'dropped' - I suddenly have nearly a full hand's width of room between my belly and breasts. He's not dropped into my pelvic girdle yet, but I would rather he wasn't riding so low. Not only am I forced to walk like an overweight duck, but it makes me worry about him coming prematurely. I know, I worry too much....

On the bright side, he remains active and is obviously growing very well and my health also remains good. So, quiet happy cheers from here in Gouda. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats honey, I'm glad everything is going so well for young Arden.

And don't worry about the worrying. I don't think a day went by without me worrying about all that kind of stuff myself with Riley. I was 90% certain in my little brain that something would go wrong before his big day, but it didn't as you can see. And I DID have gestational diabetes.

I really do think the worrying is normal, expecially so for us mums who've had a bad pregnancy experience at some time. I think a lot of the mums who sail through pregnancy without a care are either first timers who don't really know what can happen or those lucky ones who've never, ever had a pregnancy problem.

These last few weeks will fly by! Are you all prepared because it'll be here before you know it!

Margaret said...

Cheers for all of you from LV too. Worrying is just something we moms do - it just seems to be an intricate part of our nature. You are a wonderful person and a wonderful mother Barbara. How do I know? I have seen the wonderfully happy faces of your children - that tells it all.
{{{hugs}}}

Von said...

Your level of worry does seem normal, especially considering all you've been through the last couple of years. Take comfort in the good reports you've received, and think positively! You're getting very close to the point where even if Arden did arrive early, complications would be manageable!

Hugs to all our dear Gouda family. :)

Sharon said...

Barbara! it is not pathetic to happy about making it to milestones. I think we would all feel the same way if we were in your shoes. I certainly felt the same way with my second child-though she did come at 33 weeks. Thank God-no complications.

Anyway, glad to hear that Arden is continuing to do well and glad no diabetes. Take care!

Marlies said...

Every milestone is great :-)

I would love to contact you again, I think of you almost everyday. You promised me you'd contact me again when you are ready, but now I just wanted to let you know that I still care and that I, if you want, would love to visit you agian.

Hugs, Marlies

Aussie Stitcher said...

Happy cheers are also being heard from Australia. I think even 'normal' pregnancies are worrying, with what you have been through it is not surprising that you have concerns. I am so pleased that things are going well for you and Arden, apart from your muscle issues. WOW 27 weeks, not long to go now and you will be holding your beautiful babe in your arms. {{{HUGS}}}

Anonymous said...

Prematurity doesn't have to be a problem - my DS was 6 weeks early as I had severe pre-eclampsia, but he has just thrived ever since.