12 November 2007

stubborn boys!

Today's check-up, though much less detailed than usual due to the recent trip to the EMC, seems to indicate that everything is going as it should - except that Arden is 'standing up' rather than in the head-down position required for a normal delivery. Nicky did this too, stubbornly remaining 'upside down' until the Grand Arrival. Dr. Schmitz said that in 2 weeks, at our next appointment, we'll discuss manual manipulation if he hasn't flipped over. And in case you're wondering, that is just as unpleasant as it sounds. I'm hoping he'll flip over on his own, as Nicky did. All my kids have had their little quirks - Max was two weeks late, and only decided to arrive with the help of an acupuncture treatment to jumpstart labor. Nicky was two weeks early. Rowen decided she wasn't going to miss a thing, so she stayed face-up. Strong little personalities, each one of them!

At my haptonomy appointment this morning, Andrea said that it was obvious I was still trying to be 'too brave' about everything - basically continuing to deny my emotions by insisting that everything is 'fine' and will be 'fine' when it's clear that is not at all how I really feel. Of course she's right, but it's kind of spooky to be confronted with it when you're sure you're putting on a really good show of everything being ... well, fine. She said that during the relaxation exercises, which are supposed to link body and mind, that I need to be honest about my emotions - crying when I feel like I need to - to avoid being totally overcome during the actual birth. Then she said something that really hit home. She said that it wasn't just Arden being born, but that the two babies I've lost (Arden's twin and the baby last year) would also be there, looking on. She said it better than I have. I just find this thought so incredibly comforting - all of us being together.

8 comments:

Hazel said...

Barbara for some reason I didn't hear the sad news that you lost one of your babies and I am so sorry for it. Baby Arden will be here before you know it. xxx

Unknown said...

Barbara, that woman sounds wonderful. I am so happy you met her. Sending hugs and smiles your way, as always! If you only knew how many times I think about you during the course of a day! :)

Anonymous said...

That thought leaves a lump in my throat!

Chiloe said...

I read that haptonomy can help a baby turn himself ???

I think we all try to seem fine because there are other kids that need us ... It's not easy to be who we really are ...

Sharon said...

I hope Arden will turn on his own, that manipulation thing sounds uncomfortable. It is a comforting thought to think of your babies being there watching over you all.

tintocktap said...

So glad everything is going well and what a comforting thought, that the babies you've lost will be there too, supporting you.

Jane said...

I didn't know about the babies you lost. Did you say Arden's twin? What a beautiful thing Andrea said about the babies watching over you. I hope it brings you strength and comfort along with the prayers and well wishers in our little community. You will do just fine!

Anonymous said...

Dear Barbara,
I am so sorry for the babies you've lost. About haptonomy, I really think, as said Chiloe, can help to "turn" the baby.
As a father, I really apprecited how it secured my children. And now we are doing co-sleeping, it's not perfect for the couple, but our son is really calm and secure.
Enjoy your pregnancy, I support you.