17 September 2007

IJsselland checkup with Jim and Gaby

Today's ultrasound, measurements, and checkup were made extra special by the presence of Jim and Gaby. :) They're the first grandparents to "see" their newest grandson, and the experience was wonderful for all involved.

Arden continues to grow at a rather remarkable rate, but his growth is consistent with the biweekly measurements we've been taking, so the doctor isn't worried (but is keeping an eye on it). The manual exam, where the baby is palpated and measured externally, places Arden at 27 weeks. The ultrasound measurements place him at 26 weeks. He is currently 24 weeks and 3 days. My protein levels are fine and I'm not showing any signs of gestational diabetes, so at this point Dr. Schmitz says it would appear that we simply have a big, healthy baby. ;) However, I'll go back in for the glucose test in 4 weeks, just to be safe.

Jim and Gaby were totally amazed by the clarity of the ultrasound. Arden obligingly showed them all his tricks, even waving at us. It was a fabulous experience, and we all felt a little breathless and awed when we came out.

Later this afternoon, I also went to the physical therapist and she was surprised at how much progress has already been made in my pelvic (re)alignment. I'll go back next week, and then we'll probably cut back to biweekly visits. Yay!

9 comments:

Kim said...

I am so happy to hear about the positive progress. That is so fantastic, congrats! And yay on the pelvic re-alignment, sounds like you are doing just fabu! Take care! ((hugs))

Von said...

How thrilling for the grandparents to get acquainted with their grandson so early on!

My last baby was pretty big (10# 4oz), no gest. diabetes, and I always figured that there was just so much room after all those other babies, she grew accordingly. lol!

Sharon said...

I am so happy that Arden is doing so well and you also with your pelvic realignment! Just fantastic news Barbara! {{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

That's great Arden is doing fine !!! It's also great you were able to share a moment few grand parents can share. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Glad to hear all is well and you have a good size guy there. Think he'll go near 9 pds like my Sean did? ; )

mainely stitching said...

I accidently deleted the following comment from Michele:

woo hoo! great news :) and I'm soo glad Jim and Gaby could have that wonderful pleasure of seeing an ultrasound of their grandson .. what an experience for everyone :)

mainely stitching said...

And I accidently deleted this comment from Ash:

So glad to hear everything is ok! And good that you can go back bi-weekly to the physio! :)

Margaret said...

So very happy to hear the great reports about little Arden. How wonderful that one set of grandparents has already met him.

Anonymous said...

Great news all around! I'm glad that Jim and Gaby got a sneak peek at Arden. :)